LVT in Los Angeles? Op-Ed says go for it.
Center for the Study of Economics - Company Message
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

LVT in Los Angeles? Op-Ed says go for it.
Welcome to the Zany World of NYC's Property Tax
Land Value Taxation in Jamaica: Now More Than Ever
Part 1, Land Value Taxation: Politics, Persuasion, and Practicality - A How-To
2016: Another Year of Advances and Retrenchment

Most Popular Posts

Noted UK Think Tank: Tax Land Values
Eliminating the property tax? It must not happen, but we’ll see what happens.
Altoona, PA: City tax wholly on land values = normality

Wage and Income Taxes
Wales
Wealth
Wilson Goode Jr.
powered by

Incentive Taxation

LVT in Los Angeles? Op-Ed says go for it.

Affordable Land in LA, it's only 40 Miles Away

It’s not often than an op-ed drives UrbanTools jump over a paywall, but the LA Times has done the trick with a very good editorial by three planning professors at UCLA’s Luskin School of Public Affairs; a courageous call to sidestep the usually clumsy tactics to provide affordable housing.

In this case, the editorial rightly decries “linkage fees.” Linkage fees also known as “impact fees” charge developers a set price for anything they build that goes into a fund for affordable housing.

It sounds elegant and to some fans of government over-involvement in markets it “fixes” a problem with another problem: increased cost and red tape to developers and legitimate builders who already face barriers to building. On that, it appears that progressive urbanists and builders can agree.

To be sure, it would be difficult to enact a land value tax under the current nightmare regime of Proposition 13. Prop 13 is a litany of failure that has a ghost army of defenders. Anyone who owned the property before 1976 enjoys a frozen assessed value that is now 40 years old. The same property owners enjoy minuscule increases in tax.  When the property is finally sold, the old owner cashes out in the real estate casino, and new purchasers are immediately reassessed.

The result is a slow-motion Mad Max anarchic scenario with wildly varying property tax bills not only citywide, but among homes in a neighborhood. Also, he provision of Prop 13 that freezes assessments has been a windfall for nonresidential properties, as they rarely change hands.

The motivation behind a land value tax is simple: the property tax as used all over the US punishes people for fixing up their homes and investing in businesses; the fix requires reducing or even eliminating property tax on buildings and improvements. This is a pro free-market tax to unleash capitalism and workers.

This call for a land value tax gives Los Angeles an opportunity to use market forces and private investment to be a driver for all sorts of construction so people can live, and work in LA at a reasonable cost. Los Angeles and California desperately need to regrow the middle-class, and help lower income people that want to be stakeholders in the community gain a handhold on the ladder of prosperity.

So if California and LA stopped taxing everything that moves, and start emphasizing taxing the one thing that doesn't move we'll have healthier cities, much less urban sprawl, and less expensive housing or business creation cost.  It's a way to deploy what used to be All-American values like fair play and equal opportunity.  It is the right thing to do, as well the smart thing to do.

26 Comments to LVT in Los Angeles? Op-Ed says go for it.:

Comments RSS
rushmyessays.org on Friday, March 30, 2018 7:03 AM
A land we can saw here in this photo is the best land. Before these days when we saw this land first time here we saw many kind of food and with this food also saw many fruits for us.

homework for me on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:08 AM
Distinctive individuals has the need that they make their own specific page and shaped the blog it's a sensible point so those individuals needs to do they read this article since it's assistance for them who made the article.

custom assignment help on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 3:17 AM
No big surprise that a standout amongst the most significant fares from Jamaica is as yet its kin. Disappointed, knowledgeable, and persevering, the Jamaican diaspora has advanced numerous country from US to the UK. However since the 1957, there has existed a fundamental change in law that licenses and to be sure commands arrive esteem tax collection.

affordable dissertation uk on Saturday, May 26, 2018 4:59 AM
I got very excited to see these trendy looks. I think all those who are looking of latest trends will really enjoy reading your post. Please provide more information and photos. I am eagerly waiting for your updated post to get it.

fggh on Monday, June 04, 2018 7:07 AM
I am really enjoying paper writing service reading your well written articles. I think you spend numerous effort and time updating your site. I have bookmarked it and I am taking a look ahead to reading new articles.

Buckminster Blevins on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 6:22 AM
Regular job.

Assignment Help on Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:04 AM
Assignmenthelp.us brings to you a comprehensive solution with an assurance of peerless writing style, implemented in every paper.

dtdc courier tracking on Saturday, July 07, 2018 7:01 AM
Hey guys if you want best online tracking services for free then must try my link

Anonymous on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 6:16 AM
nice

html color codes on Monday, August 06, 2018 10:35 PM

gmail on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 4:02 AM
very good. Thank you for sharing!

Anand on Friday, August 31, 2018 8:52 AM
That really looks good and the price also looks affordable , please give more updates on this post.

latest movie jackets on Saturday, September 01, 2018 6:28 AM
I appreciate your hard work here. As a student I sometimes struggle with deadlines, especially when I have so many responsibilities.Luckily, there is a this paper service may decide any paper tasks as soon as possible.

Paralegals in Brampton on Saturday, September 01, 2018 6:30 AM
Self confidence is important to be successful in our life. We should focus on our life and struggle to achieve our goals. We can make plans for our life and can change our life style as well. We should work hard to settle our life.

wedding anniversary wishes on Monday, September 03, 2018 11:30 PM
There are extremely loads of details prefer that to take into consideration. This is a great examine start up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions such as the one you mention where the most critical factor might be in the honest good faith. I don?t determine if recommendations have emerged around such things as that, but I know that your chosen job is clearly referred to as an affordable game. Both kids notice the impact of a little moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

hotmail login on Thursday, September 20, 2018 3:15 AM
very good. Thank you for sharing!

madalin stunt cars 2 on Thursday, October 04, 2018 4:32 AM
I've read all of your information that you shares in your article and I love it. Many thanks for showing this post. I enjoy it.

Lawrence Todd Maxwell on Monday, October 08, 2018 2:00 PM
I admire people who keep sharing valuable stories through great writing. I'm glad to have read this blog. Thanks and hope to read more soon.

Assignment Help on Monday, October 29, 2018 7:32 AM
For students help you just look at the Assignment help given by the assignment experts. Opting for our Assignment Help could be ideal for such students and they can get a complete assignment solution n from us.

embroidered patches on Tuesday, November 06, 2018 2:34 AM
I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information.

restore old photos near me on Thursday, November 08, 2018 2:18 AM
I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work.

fastpokemap android on Saturday, November 17, 2018 1:29 AM
thanks for share information.

Webdesign on Sunday, November 18, 2018 1:17 PM
I just got to this amazing site not long ago. I was actually captured with the piece of resources you have got here. Big thumbs up for making such wonderful blog page!

instagram downloader on Monday, November 19, 2018 5:06 AM
Robert, you inspire so many! Thank you for your diligent, enlightening, good news. Keep it rolling!

camera under 300 on Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:01 AM
Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work!

Airco on Sunday, November 25, 2018 2:41 AM
It is extremely nice to see the greatest details presented in an easy and understanding manner.